LAUGHING PHENOMENA: Its History & Possible Effects on the Church
PART IV: Laughing: Deeper Realities
By Ed Tarkowski
"Birthing" is becoming a common term in the Laughing movement. In Part II of this series, we discussed prophecies of a fresh new revelation of God's impregnation of the Church, followed by a period of gestation and the birth of "Isaac." In Part III, we pointed out the connection between "Isaac" and the Latter Rain's replacement of Jesus with the Church as the seed of the Abrahamic Covenant. As well as bringing the Covenant "blessings" to the nations through the Toronto Blessing, that seed's celebration of Tabernacles will result in the unity necessary to manifest the Sons of God. In turn, they will establish the Kingdom and cleanse the earth of evil (eliminating the Tribulation period) so Christ can return.
All of this is disturbing, to say the least. By the use of replacement theology, Latter Rain sees the Church as the "New" Israel inheriting all of God's promises to Abraham. Israel has no more part to play in the endtime scenario, except as it becomes part of the New Breed, the one New Man to be birthed through the Church: the Manifest Sons of God.
We have already discussed the upcoming unity in the Global Church, but now we must ask, is there another, deeper unity ahead, being sought by spirits not of God? After all, our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities and powers in the regions above (Eph. 6:10-13). Are the "non-church" principalities working in cahoots with the "churchy" ones? We could get a clue by comparing the vocabulary and goals of both. For instance, in documenting the start of the Toronto Blessing, Vineyard's John Wimber writes:
"Seventeen times [the Lord] spoke in the same context and said that this would be a 'SEASON OF NEW BEGINNINGS.' The Lord was saying, 'I'm going to start it all over again. I'm going to pour out my Spirit in your midst LIKE I DID IN THE BEGINNING.' . . .
"I had brought this MESSAGE OF NEW BEGINNINGS to our AVC National Board and Council meeting in November of 1993 at Palm Springs. Then the Lord confirmed this word in the hearts and minds of our national leadership. . ."(1)
And in New Age leader Barbara Marx Hubbard's book, "The Revelation," her "Christ" also promised a season of New Beginnings:
"Those of you who hear these words are to carry on the commandment given to John two thousand years ago. You are not only to prophesy the end, the tribulations, and the New Jerusalem, you are to act it out. You are to discover the blueprint and become co-creators with God. You are to see the first fruits of the NEW BEGINNING."(2)
"Now is the time. More of the Book of the Gods shall be revealed to you, dearly beloved, for the end is coming and the NEW BEGINNING is dawning in your lifetime."(3)
Barbara Marx Hubbard's New Beginnings are based on the evolution of man into godhood, and the newly energized Latter Rain movement is bringing this evolutionary model into the Church. The only differences lie in the outworking of the concept. In the Latter Rain doctrine, man must first receive Christ and then mature to the point where he incarnates Him. In Hubbard's version, man is born a god, and must only come to a realization of the fact. This may seem to be a point of contention, but in the grand scheming of the Deceiver, it's merely an example of his principle that "the end justifies the means." The end is Eden revisited, and the adversary still has the same motive in mind: to get man to believe that "Ye shall be as gods."
In his new book, "Weighed and Found Wanting . . . Putting the Toronto Blessing in Context," Bill Randles makes the point that this "revival" was started primarily to bring Christians into their fullness in Christ (godhood), and not necessarily for the conversion of sinners. According to Latter Rain teachers, attaining this fullness is not through accepting Christ alone, but by growing into a maturity that God will finally accept. Randles writes,
"A major tenet of the 'Latter Rain' teaching is the restoration concept. According to this erroneous view, down through the centuries, the church 'lost' different concepts and experiences in the Lord, like justification by faith, sanctification, divine healing, speaking in tongues, and apostolic ministry. But, gradually, God has restored these things. . . . But the work of restoration is not over yet, according to Latter Rain thinking. Davidic worship, teaching, ministry, evangelists, and prophets and even apostles in all of their authority are currently being restored. According to a commonly held misconception of Acts 3:21, Jesus can't come back even though He wants to because WE haven't fully 'restored all things.'
"Thus, the 'Latter Rain' Revival centered around the following themes, restoration of the fivefold ministry (Eph. 4), and especially apostles and prophets. . . .
"If you buy the restoration concept, it inevitably sets up for the evolutionary church concept, a deluding, intoxicating idea that makes the current expression of the church feel that she is the ultimate center of God's purposes, over and above all other expressions of the church.
"Think about it. If restoration and Latter Rain is true, that means we are more anointed and equipped and more powerful than any other church in history.
". . . . The church is the family of God, which is in heaven and on earth at the same time. She is not, nor has ever had to 'progress in maturity.' She has always been 'complete in Christ' and yet on an individual basis, the members of the body have always been at various stages of personal maturity. If you hear a statement like, 'In the Book of Acts, we have the church in her infancy,' you are hearing a form of evolution. . . . According to Galatians, the Old Testament of Law was infancy and childhood. But, the New Testament faith is mature manhood. The true church has always been complete! . . . .
"An interesting example of the evolutionary model of the church is a little book written in 1951 by George Warnock called The Feast of Tabernacles. . . . According to Warnock, the feasts of Israel described in Leviticus 23, are a pattern of progress of the church through time."(4)
It is a fact of Scripture that when a person receives Christ, he receives a share in the fullness of Christ which makes him complete, although always short of godhood (Colossians 2:9-10). Each member is vitally united to Christ by the Spirit through faith in Christ's finished work. But Latter Rain teachers say otherwise, calling for much more than just following the Holy Spirit. Theirs is a call to godhood realization, where God fully indwells the Christian and makes him the ongoing incarnation of Christ. It is this state of maturity which will bring about the manifestation of the Sons of God and set creation free from corruption. Hubbard's teachings say the same things, although they're couched in different words.
We've already discussed the impregnation, gestation and birth of "Isaac," but what this process does to the Church is place it in the evolutionary model of the New Age. In a like manner, the Church's move through the Feasts of Atonement, Pentecost and into Tabernacles is an evolutionary process. Latter Rain teaches that Christ Jesus comes to the individual at Pentecost only to incorporate him into the unity of the Army of Sons formed in Tabernacles.
The evolutionary model was evident in the 1980s restoration teaching which lead up to this laughing "revival," i.e., the restoration of the apostles and prophets, their "new" revelations, the new wave of signs and wonders, power evangelism, individuals "progressing" into a maturity pleasing to God, men overcoming death in the physical realm, and finally, the Church conquering the world for Christ and reigning as Him on earth. Now the laughing phenomena connected with the Feast of Tabernacles has become the driving force behind the Church's move toward Christification. But the key to Latter Rain realizing its goals is the evolutionary birthing process itself. This is New Age philosophy, Christianized to make it palatable to the Church.
John Wimber's revelation of the "season of new beginnings" was vitally connected to a word of new life he'd received:
"Last fall (1993), . . [in] my spirit, I felt like Abraham might have felt when he was waiting for the fulfillment of God's promises. The New Testament credits Abraham with not wavering in his faith. He had faith that God was going to do it, but I'm sure Abraham and Sarah had a few moments when they wondered how it was going to come together. (That's how Ishmael came about.) Anyway, I was looking at my age-59, going on 90. . . .
"But I looked at myself, and I'm out of energy. In my spirit I was just murmuring 'Oh God, oh God.' And at that point (mid January) the Lord gave me a word. I heard myself say: Shall I have this pleasure in my old age? The very words that Sarah laughingly said to herself when she overheard the LORD say she was going to have a son from her 90-year-old womb by her 100-year-old husband. (Gen. 18:10). This was a word of life from the Lord, and it touched me deeply."(5)
Wimber felt like Abraham awaiting the fulfillment of God's promise through the birth of Sarah's child. But this also reflects Barbara Marx Hubbard's New Age revelations. In another of her books, a section entitled "The Lineage of Founders of a New Order of the Future" has one of her sources of the "New Beginning" also pointing to Abraham and Sarah:
"We were present when Abraham and Sara understood that their relationship with God was a partnership for the transformation of the world."(6)
I'd never read much of Hubbard before researching this article, but I was intrigued by her statements on birth as a new beginning, and dug a little deeper. Her work is overwhelmingly based on Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, whom she considers to be a "life-saver" because of his theory that the human race will one day reach the place of Christification. Look at a sample of Teilhard's writing:<
"As the centuries go by it seems like a comprehensive plan is indeed being slowly carried out around us. A process is at work in the universe, an issue is at stake, which can best be compared to the process of gestation and birth; the birth of that spiritual reality which is formed by souls and by such material reality as their existence involves. Laboriously, through and thanks to the activity of mankind, the new earth is being formed and purified and is taking on definition and clarity."(7)
What is this "spiritual reality . . . formed by souls" through the "process of gestation and birth"? Is it the same as Judson Cornwall's "truth"? He'd told Pat Robertson that God is "now impregnating some of my mature, older ministers with truth. . . . to carry that truth to full gestation."(8)
In Hubbard's search for answers, she'd asked herself, "What in our age is comparable to the birth of Christ?"(9) Then, after coming out of a dreamlike state, she said she heard these inner words clearly:
"Our story is a birth. It is the birth of humankind as one body. What Christ and all great beings came to Earth to reveal is true. We are one body, born into this universe."(10)
But Hubbard says that being born as one humanity is not the end of the road for man. The Christ, she said, had revealed to her that
"This tiny band, this brave congregation, of souls attracted to the future of the world are my avant garde - the New Order of the Future.
"These are self-selected souls who have come to Earth to carry the miracle of resurrection into action as the transformation of humanity from Homo sapiens to Homo universalis."(11)
We've already described how Cornwall's "truth . . . carried to full gestation" and "raised up" after delivery, will become the corporate Christ of Christianity, the endtime Joel's Army.(12) Now the New Age prophetess Barbara Marx Hubbard gives us her version of the same objective, the endtime "Homo universalis." Hubbard's Christ exhorted her:
"I call upon you to activate the capacities to save the world from self-destruction. I call upon you to undertake a mission comparable to the first disciples of Jesus. They were the first to carry the message of the reality of our potentials to the nations. You are to be the last to carry the message.
"They lived at the beginning of the change. You live at the "end times," when the old shall pass away and the new shall appear. . . .
"You are to become natural Christs. You are to communicate to the world its potential to restore the Earth, free the people, and impregnate the universe with new life. You are to participate in the Instant of Co-operation, the Planetary Birth, the Second Coming.
"You are to bring on the shared contact with me. You are to ascend to the New Jerusalem. You are to overcome physical death. You are to be in touch with your universal brothers and sisters. You are the first sons and daughters of humanity to become the Sons and Daughters of God, as a new norm."(13)
As I read this Christ's words, I realized this was Manifest Sons doctrine in New Age terms, the same doctrine coming through the church's global "move of God." Or was it vice-versa? I couldn't tell. The "avant-garde" of the New Age Christ was no different than the Manifest Sons of God of the Latter Rain movement. The joy, the fire, the glory, the transformation to Christ incarnate, the overcoming of death, taking the message to the nations of the world "to bring on the shared contact" with "the Christ;" HUBBARD WAS PREACHING THE MANIFEST SONS DOCTRINE! OR WAS LATTER RAIN BASED ON HUBBARD? The terminology and processes were different, but the outcomes were the same:
LATTER RAIN GLOBAL MOVE OF GOD: "The completion of the incarnation of God in the world must be in His church. . . Jesus Christ is the firstfruits, but without the ongoing harvest, the incarnation will never be complete."(14)
The goal of the Latter Rain appears to be the the bringing about of a global community that is God's. This seems rather apparent, since, under this doctrine, God will cleanse the earth of all that refuse to follow His ways. That this is the goal of the the New Age is shown in Hubbard's words:
HUBBARD: "Who is this child? This child is the Christ-child within who has emerged victorious, fully born, incarnated as every member of the human race who evolves."(15)
Other likenesses between the new "global move of God" and Hubbard's revelation quickly came to light:
LATTER RAIN GLOBAL MOVE OF GOD: "Prophetically, the child Isaac, which means 'Laughter,' is being released in nation after nation as the new wine is being passed."(16)
HUBBARD: "It was a planetary smile - like the smile of a new born baby. . . Now for the first time, we were seeing it together. Ecstatic joy rippled through the planetary body - and through me as one of its billions of members."(17)
If one equates "Laughter" being released in nation after nation with the New Age planetary body being filled with ecstatic joy, then this aspect of both moves are the same.
LATTER RAIN GLOBAL MOVE OF GOD: "[God said,] The Day of Atonement is over and Tabernacles is coming, and I'm getting ready to laugh and I'm getting ready to roar, and I tell you this whole world is going to feel the shaking of that laughter and the power of that roar."(18)
HUBBARD: "An uncontrollable joy will ripple through the thinking layer of Earth. The co-creative systems, which are lying psychologically dormant in humanity, will be activated. From within, all sensitive persons will feel the joy of the force, flooding their systems with love and attraction."(19)
HUBBARD: "Joy is essential right now. Lightness of heart will help you overcome the heaviness of life during the tribulations to come"(20).
Ecstatic and uncontrollable joy - An irresistable force flooding people's systems - Billions of members - Was this Toronto and the global laughing phenomena based on Latter Rain? Or was it Hubbard and the New Age Christ? It was obvious; it was both - it was the same.
The experience of heat and fire to the point of even taking off some clothing is common in the Laughing move of God:
LATTER RAIN GLOBAL MOVE OF GOD: Reported by an observer of three of the four nights at the Seattle "Fire and Reign" conference (February 14-17, 1995): "They were 'midwifing', and 'birthing the baby' there. The most incredible scenario I have ever witnessed. . . . Reports I've heard from other Fire conferences lead me to believe they are all going that far once they get the 'fire' started. Wes [Campbell] had the people divide into groups the second and third nights. He called the groups 'nests.' They were to pray and wait for the fire to 'spark' in someone, and when they saw the spark, they were to 'fan' it into life. They blew on people, fanned them, in the most extraordinary gestures, and repetitive (as in shamanistic) ritualistic, ways. It was completely bizarre. Others were in states of 'labor,' I think."(21)
Feeling the fire was part of Rodney Howard-Browne's experience of God that empowered him for this "move of God." And his brother experienced this heat for six hours during one service while being unable to move, pinned to the floor. But so has Barbara Marx Hubbard:
HUBBARD: "The purpose of our new powers is to give birth to universal life.
". . . . Deep empathy arose between me and the audience. I was not simply telling about the future. We were experiencing ourselves as universal beings at the next stage of evolution, now.
"These evenings had a profound effect on my biological system. . . . After each performance, I would notice a strange phenomenon. My body heated up. I was filled with inner radiation. . . . These affirmations were evolving now."(22)
Notice in these quotes the description of an internal source of "living water" that rejuvinates and renews and brings life to the nations:
LATTER RAIN GLOBAL MOVE OF GOD: "Then one more thing . . . [ISRAEL] did was this. They . . . were also recognizing that God was the source of supernatural water. They also went further to call out on God that they might drink of this living water, and that finally, by drinking of the living water, they might become rivers of life to the nations."(23)
HUBBARD: "The 'living fountains of water,' the source of ever-evolving life in each of you, is waiting to be turned on. It is the mechanism for rejuvenation and renewal."(24)
In both moves, the Holy Spirit is spoken of as an impersonal force called 'IT", a dead give-away that the Spirit of God is not in operation:
LATTER RAIN GLOBAL MOVE OF GOD: "There IT is! Take IT! Take IT! Take IT!" The use of the word "IT" when referring to the Holy Spirit is common in the laughing phenomena meetings.(25)
HUBBARD: "Then I heard the inner words, which seemed to flow from the heart of the cosmos directly into my heart: 'Thank you, Barbara.'
"I felt ecstacy, joy, beatitude. The pain that I had felt since my mother's death healed in that instant. Instead I felt warmth, mother's love, yet at a far different scale. There is a RELATIONSHIP between me and IT. I am not alone. I am not abandoned, I am part of this cosmos. My desire is its expression. Its expression is my desire. I and It are connected! . . . The aching void was, at least in that moment, filled. This was the 'good news' that my restless mind had so desperately sought."(26)
Beginning this year, the dual agendas will begin to be implemented, so the Church must prepare itself in order to warn others who are taking their stand for our Lord Jesus Christ. Below are the distinctive doctrines of the Latter Rain (see fuller doctrine in Part II), each followed by excerpts from Barbara Marx Hubbard's book, "The Revelation: Our Crisis Is A Birth."
Familiarize yourself with this doctrine so you can recognize it and share it with others. The New Age and Latter Rain scenarios will soon be meshing, as the apostate Church continues on its way to destruction.
Remember that the terminology of the teachings may differ, but the end result is the same. For example, Latter Rain calls the incarnated person a Manifest Son of God, while the New Age says he is Christed, the Universal Human, or Homo Universalis. The same idea is true regarding "immortality." In the Latter Rain, there is a "fresh" RECEIVING of the "Holy Spirit" and then maturing into Christ until one becomes immortal. But in the New Age, the seed of immortality is said to be ALREADY PRESENT at birth and must only be realized. These are two different MEANS to immortality, but the adversary's desired result is the same: "godhood." The END, therefore, justifies the MEANS. The devil has always changed the names and ways of his deceptions, but the goals and purposes he set for himself in the Garden continue.
In Latter Rain, it is the Church that inherits the blessings of Abraham and, instead of Christ, takes that blessing to the nations. But Hubbard's Christ also replaces Israel with another body of people as heirs of God apart from Christ:
HUBBARD - Replace Israel - "It is not as biological Jews, nor as biological Christians, that you will be selected."(27)
HUBBARD - Replace Israel - "Who do you suppose those 'children of Israel' are, dearly beloved? They are you who love God above all else, your neighbor as yourself, and yourself as me. You are sealed in your foreheads. . . . "O Israel, awaken to the reality of your potential to be heirs of God!"(28)
HUBBARD - Former, latter promises - "There shall be a great rejoicing among Jews and Gentiles as we approach the Quantum Transformation. . . . They will join as individuals [as at Pentecost] who are attracted to the potential of humanity for universal life as heirs of God [as at Tabernacles]."(29)
1) HUBBARD - Unity - ". . . . A time will come when the elect from all nations will be gathered together and consciously coordinated so the perfect alignment of aspiration occurs. . . . "This unity of the elect is the key to the transformation from Adam to Christ, from Homo sapiens to Homo universalis, from creature to co-creator, from self-centered to whole centered beings."(30)
As in Latter Rain, there is a gathering together that unites everyone into one corporate body.
2,4) HUBBARD - Revival, Christ's spiritual coming - "Finally, you start the transition. . . During the transition, millions of members of the body awaken to their power to be natural Christs, full humans in the model of the first person to manifest the next stage in the development of humanity. . . ."(31)
In Latter Rain, Christ is the Pattern Son, and Hubbard's Christ is a model. The "millions of members" spoken of here is complimentary to the Latter Rain revival, which leads to the incarnation of Christ in humanity.
3) HUBBARD - Harvest - "Now, this has been tried by my disciples for two thousand years, and it has not worked - yet. Why? Because it was not yet the fullness of time. The idea was not wrong; it was premature. The vines of the Earth were not ripe to be harvested. Now they are."(32)
As does Latter rain, Hubbard's philosophy based on a Cosmic Christ also says now is the time for the harvesting of the earth.
3,4) HUBBARD - Joy and gladness, Christ's spiritual coming - "All is silent to see if a second miracle can occur comparable to the birth of Christ.
"That miracle is the gentle second coming of Christ through the rapid evolution of enough humans linked up by the planetary nervous system, so that the social body will flood with empathy, healings will abound, and the world will smile with joy. The people will know they are whole, they are good, they are capable, they are loved, they are needed."(33)
We have shown the similarities of the birthing process in both the New Age and Latter Rain movements, leading to the birth of a corporate body that will transform the earth.
5,6) HUBBARD - Defeat of Adversaries, Establishment Of Kingdom - "The power of the self-centered human has become a universal aberration, a dragon that can destroy the natural Christ and prevent the birth of the future human. . . .
"The dragon is the misuse of the powers of the intellect and individuality at the conclusion of the phase of self-centeredness from which we are soon to emerge. The dragon is the instrument of evil - Satan - God's selection process, which will weed out the self-centered from the God-centered.
"It is up to us how long the dragon of selfish power is permitted to prevail. In the end it will surely be defeated, for God's will shall be done on Earth as it is in Heaven [the Kingdom]."(34)
This is an interesting quote because the word from Toronto about a coming Civil War in the Church attributes those opposing the move to rleying on their "intellect andindividuality." These are the "grays." It is through this Civil War that the grays will be eliminated and the Blues selected as the ones to establish the Kingdom after this War. There is little or no difference between this and what Hubbard's Christ stated in the last quote.
HUBBARD - Prophets - "All of you who are now awakening to your own evolution are to gather. Find one another. Join spiritually. . . . You will be guided from within as to the design of the Planetary Birth and your roles in it. From every race, nation and religion you will prophesy that the transition from Homo sapiens to Homo universalis is now occurring.
"Your prophecy will call people to experience in your life time the Planetary Birth."(35)
Both movements are prophesying a birth on a global basis, a joining together being brought about by the prophets of both moves.
HUBBARD - New Revelation - "The text of the New Order of the Future is the Story of Creation.
"The first chapter is revealed in the religions of the world, especially the Judeo-Christian which foresaw the future most clearly. Its vision as stated by Paul is true.
"'Behold I show you a mystery: we shall not all sleep; but we shall all be changed.' Revelation shall be unfolded in evolution through the marriage of faith and knowledge in each of you."(36)
"The text" referred to here is Hubbard's book, The Revelation, which is the second part of a work entitled, The Book Co-Creation. It in itself is about 350 pages of new revelations from a spirit who says he is Christ, revelations being given to humanity through the New Age prophets. Faith and knowledge undergird both moves, but it is a faith and revelatory knowledge that denies the truth of Scripture.
It is important when considering this Hubbard quote to remember the End-Justifies-The-Means principle we spoke of earlier.
HUBBARD - Immortality - "The memory of immortality is in every cell in your body. It dates back to the first self-replicating cell that divided to reproduce and did not die.
"The memory of immortality was activated in the creature/human and will be acted upon by the co-creative, Christlike human in the fullness of time."(37)
HUBBARD - Unification - We've already discussed this aspect of both moves earlier, so we won't go comment on this here.
1) HUBBARD - Christ's Return - "The 'church' is the congregation of believers in their power to be me. I cannot consummate my union with you until you become like me. I cannot join my body to your body until your body becomes comparable to mine."(38)
The changing of the physical body which brings immortality to the adeherents of both Latter Rain and the New Age philosophy is key to both movements, (incarnation of Christ in the person), bring about the revelation of the corporate Christ.
2) HUBBARD - Defeat of Evil - "The devil, Satan, will be overcome. . . . He will be released from his anger and reunited to God. . . . "The consciousness defect of the illusion of separation will be corrected once and for all. You will never go back again."(39)
Again, we commented on this before, so we won't expand on it here.
3) HUBBARD - Church Reign - "If the positive scenario comes true, if those sealed with the seal of the living God do their work in time, I shall be enabled to come not to you, but with and through you to empower the people of the world to rule themselves. My message is: you are King of Kings, you are Lord of Lords. I have no desire to return to earth in the role of ruler over you. That is a failure. That is treating you as a regressive child."(40)
As in Latter Rain, a kingdom is established which is ruled over by a humanity which has reached its purpose: godhood.
HUBBARD - Religiosity - "Dearly beloved of the existing churches, do not reject the saviors of the world, the natural Christs who are springing up among you, as well as among peoples who, though they have not been insitutionalized as Christians, yet hold God consciousness in their attention at all times."(41)
HUBBARD - Destruction of the "Old Ways" - "First you may have to decide to save the child by destroying those elements which are unhealthy. If you are a surgeon delivering a child whose umbilical cord is wrapped around his neck, you must operate quickly, or the child will be strangled by the cord that connects him to the past.
"The operation to save humanity is also painful. You do not want to kill bodies but to change minds, yet the 'good' will also suffer as you eliminate self-centeredness that would destroy the whole body."(42)
"This book is a virtual primer of Latter Rain, Manifested Sons of God teaching, . . . a pattern for the progress of the church through time. Starting at Passover, which is Calvary, the church has been passing through the different feasts over the years, to Pentecost. Warnock writes that we, the church, still have got to go through the Day of Atonement, the Feast of Trumpets, and come into the Feast of Tabernacles, which to him represents God's consummate purposes for us, the Last Days Church. When we come into Tabernacles, which was a tremendous time of celebration for Israel, God will finally dwell within His people."(43)
So according to Warnock, God's ultimate indwelling of His people in the midst of Celebration is His "consummate purpose for us"; the corporate Child of the Latter Rain will be born. This global birth will be possible by the Latter Rain's seed of Abraham taking the Holy Spirit to the nations which destroys seprateness and ushers all nations into the Kingdom of God. Once established, Christ will return to an established kingdom. But as it is with Latter Rain, so it is with the New Age philosophy. Barbara Marx Hubbard's Christ calls this shared contact the Instant of Co-operation, or the Planetary Pentecost:
"The Instant of Co-operation begins, empathy floods the feelings of the whole body of Earth, separateness is overcome, and I appear to all of you at once. I appear to you from within as a voice, and as a vision of yourself as an evolving being. I appear to you from beyond as the light being that I now am. Your electronic media will pulse with light - the same light your mystics see.
"The promise I made is of a personal future in a transformed body. This means that you will also have what I have now. I am real. I am tangible. I am alive. I can speak to each of you through your inner ear if you listen. I can appear to each of you through your inner eye if you look.
"At the moment of cosmic contact, I will appear to you both through inner experience and through external communication on your mass media - the nervous system of the world.
"You will all feel, hear and see my presence at one instant in time, each in your own way.
". . . . The planetary celebration will begin for the birth of humankind in the universe, a blessed Cosmic Child eagerly awaited by the evolved beings through the universe without end. Hallelujah. Amen."(44)
Though the New Age was virtually unheard of when Warnock published his book in 1951, this evolutionary model is now the norm among the New Age futurists who believe, along with the Latter Rain and its rejoicing, celebrating followers, that the human race as a whole is birthing the next stage of man's evolution: Godhood.
PART V: THE CONSUMMATION: WHERE ARE HEADED?
THE CHURCH AND NEW AGE PHILOSOPHY: The birth of the corporate "child" to the world and the Church is being proclaimed by both as a time of New Beginnings, the initiation of our Common Future, and the advent of the Manifest Sons and Homo universalis.
* CLAYT SONMORE (Latter Rain teacher) - "Today, God is again - like unto 'the firstborn among many brethren' - bringing forth perfection in a combination priest/prophet/king company. This is an anointing far beyond that of King David. David, though 'a man after mine own heart' did not come to total perfection. Even now, God is beginning to anoint His servant sons with an anointing of new beginnings . . . In the highest sense, these are the ones (or the position) Matthew was referring to when he wrote: 'Be ye perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect'" (Matt. 5:48) ("Beyond Pentecost," pp. 176-177).
* PIERRE TIELHARD DE CHARDIN (Jesuit) - "Sooner or later souls will end by giving themselves to the religion which activates them most as human beings" (Christianity and Evolution, p. 228; italics removed).
"After what will soon be 2,000 years, Christ must be born again, he must be reincarnated in a world that has become too different from that in which he lived" (Ibid., Page 95).
* POPE JOHN PAUL II - "Mary . . . should inspire all who cooperate in the Church's apostolic mission for the rebirth of humanity. . . The Church journeys through time . . . along the path already trodden by the Virgin Mary" (Redemptoris Missio, pp. 86, 92).
* JOHN WIMBER (Founder, Vineyard Churches) - [On how we should respond to the laughing:] "I think that the response of Mary to the visitation of the angel is classic: 'be it done to me according to thy will.' I'm afraid the church today does not pray with that kind of acceptance in mind. I mean Mary was given the most incredible proposition that any human being in all the history of mankind was given: 'the Holy Spirit will come upon you and overshadow you and you will be with child'...acknowledging our sin, we should be saying 'Oh God, we need you. Come any way you want to, even if it puzzles us, even if it confounds us, COME'" (Holy Trinity Brompton's parish paper, "HTB in Focus," October 9th 1994).
* TOM SINE (Futurist) - "Giving birth! What imagery could remind us more compellingly of the agony of our journey or unleash such a wild hope within us for our common future? As we have anticipated the avalanche of change rushing toward us, it would be easy to focus on the pain, trauma, and ordeal of the birth process and never look forward to the birth of the new.
"But where can we turn to find hope for the future? Where can we find any hint, any assurance, that something new is being born? Where can we find a confident hope that helps us not only to make it through troubled times, but also to engage the emerging challenges of a new century creatively?" (Wild Hope: Crises Facing The Human Community On The Threshold of the 21st Century, p. 228).
* M. SCOTT PECK (New Age Christian) - "When I think of all that is required to bring an end to the arms race - not only the changes in individual styles and attitudes, but the willingness of the military-industrial establishment to no longer worship Mammon, and the willingness of the nation to relinguish its external sovereignty to a supra-national agency - it seems to me that a virtual Second Coming is required. In fact, that is what its all about. With all due respect to the traditional millennialists, I think what is meant by the Second Coming is not the bodily return of that one solitary man, but the coming of the mystical body of His True Church; the coming of the spirit of Christ to everyone, sweeping through the nations, sweeping through the world. Father, make us like Mary . . . to give birth to Your Son; to give Him to everyone. This is the time of the Second Coming. Whether we like it or not. There's no alternative except self-anihilation. And the battle is heating up just as predicted. The forces of evil are coming out into the open. The iron fists within the velvet gloves are about to revealed. And we must face the fact that crucifixion is not something that happened to that one man nineteen hundred and fifty years ago. They're going to want to stone us again. And ultimately that's what giving birth to Jesus means. It means, like Him, we need to be willing to die for love and truth. I'm sorry. I know it sounds hard. It is hard. But there's no escaping it. It is the time of the Second Coming. 'Here and now we're chosen to be, to reveal His grace that all then may see.' It's either give birth to Jesus or else. The time when we must choose is upon us. Father, make us like Mary" (What Return Can I Make, p. 152).
* MATTHEW FOX (Dominican, Director of Institute in Culture and Creation Spirituality) - "Indeed, the birthing of the Cosmic Christ is the purpose of the incarnation. . . . Divinity wants to birth the Cosmic Christ in each and every individual" (The Coming Of The Cosmic Christ, p. 122).
* FRANCIS FRANGIPANE (River Of Life Ministries) - "Secure this thought in your mind: when the Spirit of Christ comes into the physical world, He must enter through a physical body . . . When Christ first entered our world as a child, it was Mary whom God chose to give Christ birth. Mary's life symbolised the qualities the Church must possess to walk in the fulness of Christ . . . [God is preparing us] as He did Mary to give birth to the ministry of His Son. Even now, in the spiritual womb of the virgin Church, the holy purpose of Christ is growing, awaiting maturity; ready to be born in power in the timing of God . . . the virgin Church is 'in labour and in pain to give birth' (Rev 12:1-2) . . . even now, hell trembles and the heavens watch in awe, for I say to you, once again, the virgin is with child. Before Jesus Himself returns, the last virgin Church shall become pregnant with the promise of God. Out of her travail, the Body of Christ shall come forth, raised to the full stature of its Head, the Lord Jesus. Corporately manifested in holiness, power and love, the Bride of Christ shall arise" (In the Presence of God, pp. 153-157, 1994).
* JOHN WIMBER (Founder, Vineyard churches) - [On animal noises made at Toronto Blessing meetings:] "I think we're all delighted with babies but I don't think very many of us want to attend the birthing process. And I believe what we have in the church is a birthing process. I believe the Holy Spirit has chosen to visit and revitalize the church and with it there's all kinds of noises and activities that would be best done behind closed doors [like a birth] but church is an open activity and God has chosen to visit the church. I'm a little puzzled myself by some of the things that God chooses to reveal publicly, aren't you? . . . I don't have any more explanation or idea of what it means than anybody else, but I love the after-effect, just as I love babies but am confused by the birthing process, but I love what happens afterwards" (Ibid.).
* ESTHER INILSKI (Overseer for global intercession) - Chris Mitchell, CBN: "Esther Inilski oversees a prayer network for global intercession. She says many intercessors describe the times we're in like a spiritual pregnancy."
Esther Inilski: "We talk about revival and birthing, using that term as well. And, yes, this baby's been in the womb a long, long time and we're saying we've got to get this baby birthed. And we believe, yes, that God's time has arrived" (700 Club Report on praying through the 10/40 Window Project and the AD2000 Prayer Track, January 1995).
* WES CAMPBELL (Vineyard Pastor) - "Yes . . . amen . . . yes Lord, ooohh . . . yes, the Holy glory is on you Matthew, the Holy glory . . . That's right! That's right!, and Father we pray that you'd put an anointing of a preacher on Matthew, an anointing of fire, let the coals come from the altar of the Lord, Matthew, and touch your lips, and Lord I pray for faith and ignition, let fire come out of his stomach Lord, let the fire of God come on his back. And Lord I pray that Matthew would stand up in faith, that's true faith, Matthew, believe it! IT'S THE TIME TO BIRTH THE BABY. It's the time for the outpouring of the Spirit. Believe it! Lord I pray for faith that when Matthew says, 'This is the time!' It's not 'I hope it's the time,' . . . 'it might be the time.' THIS IS THE TIME! . . ." (Seattle Fire & Reign Conference, February 14, 1995).
* BARBARA MARX HUBBARD (Futurist, a founder of the Foundation for Conscious Evolution) - "'Behold, I show you a mystery: We shall not all sleep; but we shall all be changed.' Omega! The planetary birth is a real event in cosmic time. . . . that is really happening to us now!" (The Revelation: Our Crisis Is A Birth, p. 40; emphasis removed).
(1) John Wimber, "Seasons of New Beginnings," File NEWBEG.TXT, 23879 Bytes, Compuserve, CIN-4, Lib 2. Originally published in the May/June 1994 edition of Vineyard Reflections newsletter published by Association of Vineyard Churches. John Wimber, Publisher; Bill Henderson, editor.
(2) Barbara Marx Hubbard, "The Book of Co-Creation: The Revelation - Our Crisis Is A Birth," "The Christ" comments on Rev. 10:8-11 (Novato, CA: Nataraj Publishing, 1993), p. 158.
(3) Ibid., "The Christ" comments on Rev. 10:1-4, p. 150.
(4) Pastor Bill Randles, "Weighed and Found Wanting . . . Putting the Toronto Blessing in Context," 1995, pp. 57-59.
(6) Barbara Marx Hubbard, "Teachings From The Inner Christ for Founders of a New World Order of the Future (A Work In Progress) - A Complement to The Book of Co-Creation," "The Lineage of Founders of a New Order of the Future" (Greenbrae, CA: Foundation for Conscious Evolution, 1994), p. v.
(7) Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, "Hymm of the Universe," (London: William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd., and NY: Harper & Row, Publishers, Harper Torch Books, 1965), p. 93.
(8) Pat Robertson interview with Judson Cornwall, 700 Club, Family Channel, June 9, 1994.
(9) Hubbard, The Revelation, "Planetary Birth Experience," p. 37.
(10) Ibid., p. 39.
(11) Ibid., Prologue, "The Christ" comments, pp. 13-14.
(12) See Part II, prophecy segment on the birth of the corporate child.
(13) Ibid., "The Christ" comments on Rev. 22:6, p. 290-291.
(14) Randles, p. 65 citing Earl Paulk commenting on the incarnation on Morris Cerullo Video, 1991, "Manifested Sons Of God."
(15) Hubbard, The Revelation, "The Christ" comments on Rev. 21:4, p. 253.
(16) Master Potter, Prophetic Insights For The '90's: Quarterly Perspectives from Jill Austin, "The Great Intruder" Passion & Fire Conferences, Summer '94.
(17) Hubbard, The Revelation, describing what she saw while in a dreamlike state, p. 39.
(18) Cassette tape of Alan Vincent service, 1994. Location unknown.
(19) Hubbard, The Revelation, "The Christ" revealing the aspects of the soon-coming Planetary Birth, p. 234-235.
(20) Ibid., "The Christ" comments on Rev. 7:9-17, p. 141.
(21) Nancy Flint, personal eyewitness testimony, Seattle Fire & Reign Conference, Seattle, WA, February 14-17, 1995.
(22) Hubbard, The Revelation, Hubbard comments on "The Theater For the Future," pp. 53-54.
(24) Hubbard, The Revelation, "The Christ" comments on Rev. 7:9-17, p. 141.
(25) Quote from Rodney Howard-Browne, often heard during his meetings.
(26) Hubbard, The Revelation, Hubbard comments on "The Inner Voice Awakens," pp. 31-32.
(27) Ibid., "The Christ" comments on Rev. 7:1-4, p. 139.
(28) Ibid., "The Christ" comments on 1 Cor. 15:45, p. 164-165.
(29) Ibid., "The Christ" comments on Rev. 3:9, p. 104.
(30) Ibid., Hubbard comments on Rev. 4:6, p. 117-118.
(31) Ibid., "The Christ" comments on Rev. 20:4-5, p. 237-239.
(32) Ibid., "The Christ" comments on Rev. 20:1-3, p. 231.
(33) Ibid., "The Christ" comments on 1 Cor. 15:45, p. 165.
(34) Ibid., Hubbard comments on Rev. 12:3-4, p. 174.
(35) Ibid., "The Christ" comments on Rev. 10:8-11, p. 159.
(36) Ibid., "The Christ" comments on A New Order of the Future, p. 64.
(37) Ibid., Hubbard comments on Rev. 4:8, p. 118-119.
(38) Ibid., "The Christ" comments on Rev. 19:6-8, p. 218.
(39) Ibid., Hubbard comments on Rev. 20:1-3, pp. 235-236.
(40) Ibid., "The Christ" comments on Rev. 19:14-16, p. 226-227.
(41) Ibid., "The Christ" comments on Rev. 3:13, p. 106.
(42) Ibid., Hubbard comments on Rev. 8:7-9; 9:1-4, p. 145-146.
(43) Randles, pp. 58-59.
(44) Hubbard, The Revelation, "The Christ" comments on Rev. 20:1-3, pp. 236-237.